Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Stitcher | RSS
Life is one big adventure. There are risks and surprises throughout that can either push us off the path or give us the needed strength to endure.
Welcome to Lean In. A podcast that explores ordinary people’s extraordinary lives through honest storytelling. My guests share with me their journey of discovery, laughter, personal experiences and healing.
If you are going through a change or challenging period in life, Lean In is the space where we can surrender to the cycle together.
In this episode of Lean In, I had the privilege of speaking with Lucy Barnard, the extraordinarily resilient woman who has set her sights on becoming the first woman ever to walk the length of the world. She started her journey in the southernmost point of South America and seeks to conclude it at the highest point of Alaska, covering over 30,000km across 15 countries.
From battling freezing storms to overcoming water poisoning, the road so far has provided many challenges. It will be nearly three years before Lucy is set to return to her homeland of Australia, and with the journey’s constant physical toll along with crushing isolation, fatigue and regularly depleting funds, she has often considered halting it all and heading home. However, she always finds hope.
Lucy takes me through her journey so far and why she chose this adventure. How the kindness of strangers has saved her life more than once and why one became two when she picked up a welcome, furry companion.
Lucy also shares:
- Being raw in her journey – how Facebook ads spurred her to show the reality of solo travelling
- The monumental promise Lucy made to Chile
- How the support of others keeps Lucy on her path
- How Lucy brought her family into the whole spirit of her adventure
- Surviving a freezing 250km kayaking journey
- How she had overcome her self-doubt and shifted her mental perspective
- Finding her balance and grounding inner voice
- How Lucy contends with the outsider negativity
- Why Lucy’s experiences inspire the next generation
- Wombat – Lucy’s cheeky adventurer
- Lucy’s intense and loving relationship with mother nature
- How human kindness led to Lucy standing naked in a stranger’s kitchen
Buy Lucy a well-deserved coffee or hot chocolate by donating a few dollars here