When we’re confronted by an impossible situation, one that pulls us out of ourselves, we can enter into a place of anger, fear and pain. Turning the negative towards more positive energy could be the best path to follow.
Welcome to Lean In. A podcast that explores ordinary people’s extraordinary lives through honest storytelling. My guests share with me their journey of discovery, laughter, personal experiences and healing.
If you are going through a change or challenging period in life, Lean In is the space where we can surrender to the cycle together.
In this episode of Lean In, you can find me sitting in the middle of the jungle, singing to the monkeys with Ibu Sari, one of the most inspirational women I’ve ever met.
Ibu is the founder of the PKP Women’s Center in Sari Pollen, Bali. It’s a safe haven for the many divorced women in Bali to come, share their stories within this loving community while developing their business skills, and engage in further education.
Ibu has also gone on to become the director of Sari Hati School, which is a school for mentally and physically disabled children.
Ibu’s story is not an easy one to hear, and like me, you may need a few tissues to get you through. Today she opens herself up fully; allowing me to share in her deeply emotional journey.
She recounts her struggle with divorce, isolation, rejection and suicide while lifting the veil on the realities for many Balinese women growing up within a patriarchal society. It’s a beautiful, powerful and transformative story, and we can learn so much from her quest for survival as she emerges from pain to positivity.
Also featured in this episode:
- Ibu’s story – The beginnings of something big
- The shadow of suicide and how Ibu found the light
- Using dreams as a sign of what was to come
- Praying for a miracle – The power of prayer
- Reading and using the signs
- Killing yourself softly – contending with grief
- Giving up the things that are most precious
- Changing direction – How Ibu focused on those who needed help the most
- How children brought Ibu pure happiness
- Nothing is coincidence in this life – the reunion of mother and daughter
- Sitting in your beautification